Friday, September 08, 2006

And life comes atcha

It's been a busy last few days... as stated before, I'm applying and what not trying to get employed after graduating. Spending part of the Summer in Sweden and the rest in Chicago I am just now getting cracking on this.

So yesterday I had an interview. Going in I was told that I'd meet with four different people and they would all interview me. No problem, sounds like fun. Then they bounced their new HR recruiting program on me that included pre-made sheets that ask questions and allow them to get a better statistical idea of just what the quality of the people they are bringing in are.

Needless to say, for the next four hours I answered questions such as, "Tell me about a time in your life where your team dropped the ball". "What did you take away from that".

And you know whats funny, most of the time you go through life in a way where you pick up and implement new things in your life without too much thought. There have been cases where the ball was dropped... on the other hand, I didn't sit down afterwards and draw up a 5 point plan on how to better my professional life from it. Perhaps I should have. What I took away was "Keep your schedule accurate and up to date, and make sure that all points are communicated so everybody knows their responsibility." That didn't seem to impress them so much, but thats something I can live with. Seriously companies, popping a bunch of these sheets might allow you to statistically compare new hires according to some pre-set specifications that you have... but in a way I think they fall short as they are going to fail to explain the full potential (or lack thereof) of a potential employee.

Anyways, enough on that rant. On the plus side, I really like the operation and the people working there.

I find it interesting that some Democrats are talking about using a "Google Bomb" to bring down the ABC docu-drama (whatever exactly that is?). I didn't see these same people talking about bringing down sites pushing Moore when he published his own garbage. People that stick to a political line simply because that is how they identify themselves... rather than dealing with new information as it occurs, are really just the new bigots of the 21st century. I think we have enough of that on both sides already, it certainly isn't helping the country to try and expand the gulf between them.

I read a really great quote in Friedman's book "The World is Flat" yesterday. I'll try and find it later on as for now I'm going to go for a run with my wife.

On and ending note: Good luck to every other job searcher out there in obtaining great employment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home