Monday, September 11, 2006

A day of remembrance

Wow, it is really hard to believe that it has been five years since Sept. 11, 2001. So much has happened in my life since then, but the memory is still fresh. I was stationed in Italy at the time.. and in fact was working out in the gym near my friend Dave when the first plane hit. I was running on the treadmill at the time, and Dave suddendly came up to me and pointed to the monitors on the wall, and he knew right away what had happened. So did I. Dave was from New York and the personal feeling of pain he felt was transmitted in his voice and actions. I really have not had much experience with New York outside of taking my brother there to college back in '96. Even though that was not my realm of my experience, the strike was personal to me. It was personal to everyone in the US really. Not just because of the loss of life, but because most of us really are trying our best to make the world a better place. We volunteer to go overseas and give medical aid, we give financial donations to help people, etc. Yet this doesn't appease those radicals that wish to do us harm.

I wish that I knew of an easy safe manner to end these problems. We all do... but no such silver bullet exists that I know of. All we can do is our best, and never let people such as those that struck on 9/11 have control of us in any way.

When I was younger my grandparents had told me about how they remembered exactly when and where they had learned that JFK had been assassinated... that the feeling was still fresh to them. I wondered at the time how that was possible. Now I know.

Google Maps Mania has a map set up in which you can enter where you were and what you were doing. http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/

The news has covered everything quite well today, and the ceremonies are touching. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the attacks and those that are now suffering from their heroism that day and in the days that followed.

1 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Great post Justin! Our thoughts and prayers should always be with the victims and their families. Love, Jenny

9/11/2006 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home