Friday, September 22, 2006

Say no to Starbucks...

You can take a literal and figurative meaning from that. What am I talking about? Starbucks in many ways brought about a revolution in the business with its social/store concept. It created a place where you can go, and no matter if the store is in San Diego CA, Washington D.C. or Boise Idaho, you are made guarantees. They hold up to the guarantees they give you in an amazing way... they have great product, great service, great atmosphere (which one could say is wrapped up in their product), and so on.

So amidst all of this what do I think is wrong with them? They are the 800lb gorilla and know it. Today I am posting this blog entry from a small coffee shop called "Wake up Wired". And you know what, not only do they have a great atmosphere, great service, and whatever else... they also take the initiative to offer me wireless internet access for free.

To access wireless from Starbucks you have to sign up for an account and pay a fee. So if I spend $7.00 a day there, 3 days a week... which works out to $84 a month, and a little more than $1,000 a year. Thats right Starbucks, if I get a latte for my wife and I 3 times a week (alot of people go there much more often!), then I am spending over a grand a year just at your store if I don't buy your merchandise as well. Starbucks, realizing their position though, knows that they can convince most people to pay the additonal $30 a month to access their hot spot via T-Mobile or in Canada Bell. That is right, and so in addition to the grand in coffee that I buy, they know that they can bilk another $360 a year out of me. Know what the funny thing is? Thats the same cost for my cable pipe that comes into my house from Time Warner Cable. A business connection that would support the users at Starbucks would run under $100 a month.

I totally understand that a business needs to make money. However, it should beware of trying to do so continually at the expense of their customers. Starbucks knows a good thing when it sees it. So do I, that is why I am down the street at "Wake up Wire". Where the grand a year I spend on coffee is enough to get me wireless access too.

Sometimes being great at something isn't enough. Sometimes you just have to show that you care about the customer wants and needs to keep their business.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great job at assessing a few things. Wake Up Wired sounds like a wonderful name and it's also neat that you're patronizing the local people who need to make a living too~ Have a great day. I made my cup of tea at home today!
love ya, mom

9/23/2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So baby, where did you have coffee today?? :-P :-P
Love, wifey

9/24/2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Ummm, no comment..

I plead the 5th...

My own wife rats me out?

I needed a red-eye!

Rat!

9/24/2006 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Rose said...

Starbucks is raising most beverage prices next month. LOL

9/24/2006 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home