Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Two books at once?

Thats the question... and the answer is: maybe. I've been reading "The World is Flat" by "you know who" and it is very interesting. However, in an attempt to expand my management knowledge more I recently purchased a book titled "What is Six Sigma" by Pete Pande and Larry Holpp. Now I know that most of you are thinking that I am about to embark on the most boring post ever to surface on the web, but think again. Well maybe.

The concept of Six Sigma is statistical in nature. Those of you unlucky enough to take Probability and Statistics in school please raise your hand. Yeah, mine is too. Back to the topic at hand. What six sigma boils down to is stepping back and reworking your processes, and doing it in such a way that you end up with oh, about 3.4 defects per million of whatever you are measuring. Step back and think about that. Thats about what I am doing to. Despite a bit of knowledge about measuring and assessing, that level of precision impresses me to no end. So I am embarking on gaining a bit more knowledge about it. I think that this is a statistically driven world. In this day and age a company really can't survive without paying attention to that. One of my primary goals in growing professionaly is learning what measuring tools to use, when to use them.. and how to interpret those measurements so that I can succesfully implement new processes and procedures and bring as much value as I can for the company that I work for.

Speaking of business related stuff, there is a link on the side of my page for Management Tools. Management Tools is a wonderful podcast about growing as a manager and improving yourself... and I definitely recommend it not only for new managers, but also for those managers that have been around for a while. At least download a podcast or two and see if you like it, its free content and worth the time.

It is funny how management really is the science of life. If you don't think so, tell me... what in life do you do that you don't manage, and if you don't manage it well, does it still typically perform well? Time management, managing people, managing relationships. There really is a right and a wrong way to do it. Don't misunderstand me, there are certainly also an infinite shades inbetween that as well, but in whatever you do measurements can be made of whether it is done well or not. I for instance grew up in the Fiji Islands. We have this thing called "Fiji Time". What does that mean? Chill and relax.. you'll get to it eventually. My time management skills were certainly hurting when I got back to the US. So that is something that I have had to and still do focus on daily to make better. I think that we all have things that we can manage better, and it can only help us to spend a little time working on those things each day. Well, I can't speak for anybody else really, but let me just say I NEED to do that. No, I'm not going to post a link to Dr. Phil here or anything like that. Just came to mind everything I have to improve on in life and how great its going to be doing just that.

The last thing I have to think about tonight is Sudoku. When I wake up in the morning I love to sit with a cup of steaming hot coffee and work out a puzzle or two to get my mind ready for everything to come during the day. Well, for those of you that want to play and don't mind doing so on a computer, drop by this site and see if it suits you: http://www.websudoku.com/ Its free, and I think the interface is pretty nice.

Congrats to Missy and Jeff on their new baby boy Beckham Tyler. We're going to set up a time to drop by this weekend so we can see your new addition. Night all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home