Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Touché Mr. Secretary.

Recently in the mail I received a notification from the Secretary of Veterans Affairs. To sum up the letter, it basically stated that one of their employees had taken home a laptop containing veterans numbers such as their social security numbers and so on. That laptop (which the person wasn't authorized to take home) was stolen from the persons house.

So anyways, to this letter. It states: "You should have received a prior letter from me explaining that an employee took home electronic data from the VA...". Of course I hadn't received such a letter.. but thankfully I DO get the news. So I figured Mr. Nicholson would be sending me a letter at some point.

The funny point isn't that though. What is really funny about the letter is that he goes on to direct us to the Federal Trade Commission's Web site (www.consumer.gov/idtheft) that explains to us how to protect ourselves against ID Theft.

Thank you Mr. Secretary for the great link. However, I must say... considering the track record here I don't think that I or my family are the ones that need to be heading off to check out that site. Why? Because we've never been the victim of identity theft, and we haven't lost confidential federal information that affects the lives of hundreds of thousands of veterans that have served this country. I would recommend though, that you take a glance at the link and perhaps pass it on to your employees.

In the mean time though I will remain extra vigilant in checking my financial records. It seems I have to with your staff having access to my private information.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Sam O'Neal said...

Good insight, Justin. That's almost as ironic as Michael Brown (head of FEMA during the Hurricane Katrina swing and miss) setting up his own disaster-relief consulting firm (which he has actually done).

10/04/2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Hey Sam! That is pretty funny. I guess Brown could tell consult on how not to respond to a crisis. Ah well, at least these things are good for a laugh. Hope your week is going well!

10/05/2006 2:39 AM  
Anonymous eggmom said...

kind of makes you wonder why someone could steal your identity with just a s.s.number...hummmm.
I would think we would have much more information to give in order to claim to be a person! Scary, isn't it?

10/09/2006 9:54 PM  
Blogger Matt Eggar said...

ID Theft just happens to be one of my biggest issues. It's a huge issue these days, made even bigger by the lack of knowledge about just how easy it is to get your information, if you know where to look. With just your name, DOB, and social security number, I can find out what kind of cars you have, their VIN numbers, your insurance, what credit cards you have, etc and so forth. My wife and I were/are victims as we found some discrepencies on one of our credit reports. It seems that my wife got an $800 revolving loan and several $500 credit cards from out in Oregon. Neither of us have ever been to Oregon. We only found out after receiving a collections letter. Luckily we sell coverage for just this sort of thing. I am hosting an ID Awareness day next Spring complete with free public shredding, fingerprinting, etc. The problem is that you usually don't find out until long after the crime occured. Stay proactive, at the rate that ID theft is increasing, for most it is a matter of when it will happen, not if it will happen.

12/07/2006 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home